Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Count Your Blessings

I watched "White Christmas" the other night with offspring #2 and #4. We enjoyed it (again). Oh, yeah, there's some sap and a side of corny. But it's a Christmas classic on many levels.  I mean, the "Sisters" act by Bing Crosby and Danny Kaye makes the movie worth watching by itself.  

Plus, the hero of the film really is a good guy, even though he is repeatedly doubted by his flame. You know the movie was made a long time ago if the leading man was actually right and the woman in his life was wrong ... and more than once.  What were they thinking?!  Kids could be corrupted watching that stuff. 

The girls in the movie also seemed to want to be girls, and they acted like ladies.  What gives? Boys, well, they went into "the service" and served their country. I mean pretty much all of them. Then they took care of their Army pals and generals when they got out, no questions asked.  That's just what you did. 

Post-WWII America was acquainted with sacrifice and hard times. Virtually every one knew the effects of war and a real depression. The hearty and generous spirit, and perseverance of that generation are an encouragement, even today.

And in the film, Bob Wallace (Bing Crosby) encouraged the sleepless Betty Haynes (Rosemary Clooney) with the words of this simple but profound little song:
When I am worried and I can't sleep,
I count my blessings instead of sheep.
And I fall asleep counting my blessings.

When my bankroll is getting small,
I think of when I had none at all.
And I fall asleep counting my blessings.

I think about a nursery,
And I picture curly heads,
And one by one I count them
As they slumber in their beds.

If you're worried and you can't sleep,
Just count your blessings instead of sheep.
And you'll fall asleep counting your blessings.
Blessings are more than gifts, of course.  They are gifts from God, as the "White Christmas" generation understood well.  We had blessings then.  We have them now.  

Christmas is about the ultimate blessing landing on earth to announce that God would go to any and all lengths to make a way for relationship with fallen mankind.  

Count your blessings.  

Merry Christmas.