Thursday, September 11, 2008

On 9/11, thinking of planes, change, and hurricanes

Greetings. Earlier this week, I watched "United 93" again, and I was taken back. It's part of the human condition to forget. We need to be reminded of important things. Funny how the unimportant don't need calendars and clocks to dominate our thinking.

As I was heading off to work today after some pre-Ike preparations, I remembered something. I had forgotten to put my flag out. So, I circled back to the neighborhood and put her up.

I won't forget this day the rest of my life. It took me a few months, yes, even a year or so, to realize that our lives here in America had been transformed. Ultimately, 9/11 led me to this space in cyberspace. The name on the masthead was chosen because it is a symbol of America's daring, steely, and slightly-smiling resolve in the face of the enemies of civilization.

My own conservative political views were changed as a result of 9/11. I came to understand and appreciate the preeminence of national security in national politics.

As I have said before, if we are all dead, then what are we going to be arguing about?

We must never turn back, and we must never allow our countrymen to forget ... even when the hurricanes of life hit.

Speaking of hurricanes, I was talking to a friend this morning and we remembered how when we were kids, moms would fill up the tub with bath water and break out the candles. Then, we would ride it out.

Now, with the 24/7 news cycle and the experience of Katrina, those days are long-gone. Prepping for hurricanes is some kinda deal. So, we are going about it here.

If you watch the news over the weekend, I'll be the bedraggled fellow in downtown Houston shouting: "Nancy Pelosi, where is my global-warming legislation and where is my airboat?"

Or maybe not.

Funny, but you just know how certain things will shake out and how certain people will pull through. Texas will be fine. The rest of y'all need not worry about us becoming wards of the nation.

I am going to go out on a limb and make a prediction: You won't find a bunch of Texans on a bridge whining to Washington after this thing hits.

Speaking of which, we Texans can relate to Alaskans. Last night, Sarah Palin described Alaska as a place where "men are men and women win the Iditarod!"

Man, oh man ... We Texans know a little about guts and the frontier spirit, and we recognize it when we see it (in Sarah Palin) and we know when some one will break and run at the first sign of trouble (like B.O.).

And incidently, we've been electing women governors around these parts for over 80 years. Google "Ma Ferguson" for some fun reading.

And let us remember this weekend what Ma said: "If English was good enough for Jesus Christ, then it's good enough for the children of Texas."

Actually and seriously, Ma did not say that.

What she actually said was: "If English was good enough for Jesus, the greatest Community Organizer of all time, then it's good enough for me, in the spirit of Pontius Pilate the Governor, to order that we seek the truth in the English language only."

With that, I am off.

See you on the other side.