Thursday, May 24, 2007

Immigration: My Simple Take

Science ... the material is too hard for me. Math ... I am too lazy to do the work. Full-blown philosphy ... too much thinking.

Okay, so let's try "arm-chair" philosophy, with some sweeping generalizations and such.

Seriously, I think I've got something here on the immigration debate.

The proponents and opponents of immigration "reform" are lined up in their various camps based upon how they view America and its ideas and values.

Let me explain.

On the pro-"reform" side, we have big business and big government types. Big business says it needs, but really it wants, cheap labor. Meanwhile, the Hard Left/Big Government coalition sees a huge block of new voters.

The pro-"reform" camp doesn't think much of dimwitted patriots like me. The big business, blue-bloods chuckle their erudite chuckles at my simple-mindedness for thinking that this nation is a place worth preserving, at the expense of the market. To them, the U.S. is merely a market. The Left, meanwhile, sneers at me and my ilk, seeing me not only as thick-headed but also malevolent, for the Hard Left believes that America is the chief obstacle for redistributing the world's resources on the basis of the oligarchs' better judgment, er, need. To the Left, the U.S. is the obstacle.

So, the Left and the Blue Bloods are in bed together, united by their disdain for small-minded Americans who want to see their nation survive.

On the other side ... we have the "anti-reformers", if you will, people like me. These people want existing laws enforced before we create others. We believe that a nation must have a credible border, if it is to survive. We believe that America is a good place, a place where the rights of men are protected as well as any place on the planet.

We believe in playing by the rules. We believe in the power of individuals. We believe that individuals who play by the rules can and still do achieve great things here in America.

We believe in free enterprise; thus, we are skeptical of large bureaucratic institutions, including those that call themselves businesses. To us, free enterprise doesn't mean that business should be able to seek a profit while disregarding the nation's laws.

We don't trust the government on the border. We have heard it all, and the government's credibility reservoir on this subject was drained dry long ago.

And, finally, in the anti-"reform" caucus, we have room for honest liberals who see the importation of a permanent, uneducated underclass into the United States for the exploitation that it is.

We still believe in America.

So let me sum it up: The anti-"reformers" like me are united by their belief in American ideals, while the "reformers" (do words mean anything, any more?) oppose these same ideals.

To me, it's that simple.

See you on Memorial Day.