Wednesday, March 14, 2007

What's Wrong with Us

Aside from the fact that I am too busy to devote sufficient attention to this worthy blog endeavor, I mean ...

I must confess something to you. I have chided some of you re: being overly negative. I try to stay positive about the state of the nation and the world, for a number of reasons. First, generally, I am positive. I am not polyanna, but my worldview and faith give me reasons to be positive, at least in the long-term.

And also I just believe in the innate goodness of American and its people. I think we have huge advantages over our enemies.

But still ... I must confess, I get it. I see things in the news, from the Libby verdict, the Gonzales sharks swarming, the Demos' relentless pursuit of American defeat in Iraq, the brouhaha over Gen. Peter Pace's stating a mainstream opinion re: homosexuality.

It looks dark out there some, no on a number of days.

I was at the grocery store with Mrs. Daisy Cutter the other night and we were checking out. The nice, personable young checker was in a conversational mood, and the crowd was light. I forget what prompted the exchange, but he said that he's "seen it all" as a checker, meaning that people try all sorts of things (i.e., getting food without paying for it).

I motioned to the hilarious/sad/amusing/depressing rack full of supermarket tabloids, most of which contained some story re: Britney Spears' rehab and/or the latest story of Anna Nicole's mystery baby, et al. I said to the chatty checker, "I bet you do see it all, don't you?" He nodded in agreement.

After a short pause, our checker commented how more people watched "American Idol" than the President's address. "And what does that tell you?," I asked.

"That we need a new president," Einstein responded.

Like I said, there are legitimate reasons to be concerned.