Monday, March 19, 2007

Long Time Ago in a Galaxy Far Away ...

A Supreme Court nominee was under fire, and the critics swarmed. A woman named Anita Hill appeared with allegations so fantastic that they surely must've been ... Pressure mounted to withdraw the nomination.

And then Clarence Thomas stepped to the microphone and said, "God, Sen. Metzenbaum, is my judge." When I heard these words, I rose from my chair and cheered. Many other conservatives did likewise. It was on.

The battle was engaged. Eventually, Hill and her web of deceit were undone by a withering cross-examination by, of all people, a moderate senator from Pennsylvania. Arlen Specter, the former prosecutor, had what was his finest hours in the Senate, by far.

And Clarence Thomas was eventually confirmed.

I wonder if any of the Republicans in Congress remembers, or would rise to the occasion if they did.

A long time ago in a galaxy far away ...