Thursday, December 07, 2006

7 December: Remember how it started ... and ultimately ended

Days like these remind me of my old man. He never bought a Japanese car, and he chided me relentlessly when I bought even a used Toyota van years ago.

It's hard for many my age and younger to understand the shock and rage that was December 7, 1941.

But I was taught to remember. And so I always will.

Today is the 65th anniversary of the sneak attack on Pearl Harbor. Survivors, who have gotten together every five years since the attack, are dwindling. In fact, this year may be their final reunion.

Time and history march on. Indeed, the survivors of the "day that will live in infamy" are leaving us.

But we must not leave them.

The attack came on a Sunday morning, when the Japanese correctly assumed that our navy would be unprepared. But Japan could never have gotten a large enough head start on America to prevail in WWII. It still makes me shake my head, for totalitarians always mistake the outward manifestations of America's might for its soul.

Today, Japan is an ally and friend of the United States. That is a wonderful thing, and it is, in my view, a testimony both to the existence of God and to the greatness of the United States.

Anti-war protesters mark the anniversaries of the the atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, but December 7 gets less press every year, it seems.

But I will always remember.

Indeed, we Americans need to remember how the nation got plunged into World War II. The nation was plunged into the war by a knife driven into its back.

And America's enemies would do well to remember how the war ended. I know some doubt that America can and will find the resolve to finish what tyrants have started. I think they are wrong.
America's totalitarian enemies continue to bet against history.

So, without criticizing those who like my dad who could not or cannot forgive, let me say that I have.

I still won't buy a Japanese car, though.