Friday, October 13, 2006

$2.00/gal. ... and Other Assorted Thoughts on Being Positive

Henceforth, I am going to experiment with a 15-minute time limit for composing the weekending post, so here is the first installment in that effort:

On my way into town this a.m., I filled up and paid $2/gallon, on the nose. This brought a smile to my face. I recall the very dire and oh-so-correct predictions of those who said we would surely see $5/gallon gas before we saw $2/gallon gas. I chucked then and wondered ... Have these people ever heard of the law of supply and demand? Do they have any idea what is shaking in China?

Haven't they heard of Halliburton and the Rovian Hack-o-Tron and assorted Republican Dirty Tactics?

But really, did they ever hear of reality? Does pessimism remove reality? Or change it?

Then I look and I see that Buffalo is snowed in, and Michigan has the earliest snowstorm in its history. What gives? I thought we were all going to melt. No wait, we were going to be blown away by the hurricanes caused by global warming that is obviously, I mean obviously, caused by humans. No wait, it's obviously caused by Americans.

Me? I figured that temperatures, like gas prices, would probably fluctuate, too. Has any member of the Chicken Little caucus heard of recorded history? Just asking.

People probably aren't nearly as "in control" of the weather, or many other things, as they would have us believe.

I mean, maybe Air America is in control. After all, "fairness" dictated that the market was unfair and we needed a leftist talk network. Remember that? Oh, wait. Breaking ... Air America is bankrupt, officially so. Human nature, however, and reality are still around.

Oh, we limited and woeful beings don't realize that we must, must have a liberal talk network to bolster ABC, NBC, MSNBC, CNN, Reuters, A to Z media, AP, etc. Don't you see?

Pity that we are fallible and limited creatures.

Yes, we humans have tremendous potential but we are still limited. We are not omniscient. And let's be honest. We don't often have a clue as to what's going to happen next.

So what do our fallibility and limitations have to do with being positive? Plenty, I think.

I think a genuine positive outlook starts with a good grasp of reality. Pie-in-the-sky happy talk makes a person delusionally happy (maybe) until right before that light at the end of the tunnel turns out to, in fact, be a locomotive.

Here's what I know. My life has defied the odds. Of all the people born in history, I was born here ... in these United States ... and in this time. We know freedom and opportunity like few others know, both now and in history. And we amazingly keep producing those who have the mettle to fight to maintain our freedom and way of life. History and experience tell me that we've got a great country and way of life that are worth preserving.

I tell my boys that every morning they have a number of reasons to stay positive. For one thing, their eyes opened. For another, they opened in the United States of America. And for another, God has given them another day to make something happen that will last.

Yes, human nature remains unrepealed, and not even a Democrat Congress can do that.

By the way, I still believe my side is going to win on Nov. 7. Why? Because human nature and reality have not been repealed.

So, I am pressing on with a smile ... and I'm done in 15, well, 20 minutes.

See you next week.