Thursday, December 15, 2005

McCain Strikes Again ...

I see that Johnny boy has done it again. In the same fashion that he rammed through the First-Amendment-castrating Campaign Finance "Reform", he has now apparently beaten the WH into submission on his ban of "cruel, inhuman, or degrading" treatment of jihadi suspects. I haven't been able to locate the actual text of the language agreed upon yet, so we'll have to wait and see how bad it ultimately is.

It is hard to believe we are only a little over 4 years removed from 9-11, in the middle of a war, and McCain is worried about the treatment of Militant Islamists who are sawing the heads off of "infidels" and would drop a nuke on an American city in a heartbeat if they could.

History will record that the "Republican" McCain's most famous bastardization of American Liberty (CF"R") resulted in a huge influx/redirection of campaign spending and a 2-to-1 funding advantage for Demos. Maybe he will have now similarly leveled the playing field for jihadis. I know that's not his intent, but does it matter? Oh, I forgot. To the McCainites, intentions and feelings are paramount. And McCain's are always pristine.

With this new law, the McCainites will feel good. And McCain feels good. I mean, if you all feel good about it and people abroad like it, what's to complain about? What else could possibly matter?

But hey, I've got a question. How come every story about this "torture ban" mentions the fact that McCain was a POW? Why is that relevant to how we interrogate jihadis? Maybe I am just not swift enough to get it.

Or maybe this guilt-trip form of advocacy just doesn't work on me.

It is frustrating that the WH did not stop this effort, I know. I would have preferred that they offered him one of those cups, you know, the Shut-up Cup from the U.S. troop. But hey ... that's just me and I don't have to deal with this pain-in-the-butt, egomaniac every day in the Senate like the WH does. So, it's easy for me to say: Offer him a "cup". Plus, he has some stroke, too. Apparently McCain had engendered enough feel-good sentiment in the Congress to get a veto-proof majority.

McCain and the "I-feel-better-you-must-be-okay" coalition had better hope that no Americans are killed because of this law.