Wednesday, November 16, 2005

All you really need to know about Alito's criticism of Roe

I, for one, am grateful that Judge Alito's criticism of Roe v. Wade has come to light. You see, I went to a pretty fair law school. I don't know, but I think they make such judgments as to how good your school is by counting the number of liberal profs. Mine had a lot. And I never heard one of them praise the logic or constitutional basis of Roe.

Pssst. Come closer, and I'll tell you a secret: It's not fashionable in academic circles to praise Roe. Yes, it's true. Oh, they like how the case came out, all right. "Very enlightened result," they will say, "but (blushing) not sure how they did it."

You want to know what I think about Roe? I think the the decision amounts to "heavy-handed judicial intervention" that is "difficult to justify and appears to have provoked, not resolved, conflict.”

Actually, the foregoing quote is from my ideological clone: Ruth Bader Ginsburg.

Indeed, many pro-choicers are on record in their criticisms of Roe. Take time to read the foregoing link, and then spread the word.

Ironically, the truth is that the "extremist" position on Roe is that it is a well-reasoned opinion grounded both in the Constitution and applicable precedent.

Many pro-choicers like the result. Even though I am pro-life, I understand this.

However, no matter how desirable the result may be to a segment of the population, the following truth remains: Creating a fundamental right to an abortion, wholly untouchable by the elected representatives of the people, is the sort of unprincipled act that ultimately threatens the very fabric of our representative government.