Tuesday, September 27, 2005

The lights are coming back on ...

so I can see better now. Experience is a good teacher. Note to self: Get a generator. And thank God for neighbors who share their generators ... yes, share them. Or I would have no cold food left. So, now that the lights are back on, I offer some post-Rita thoughts.

My earlier stab at this was eaten by Blogger. But I press on, like the rest of the Gulf Coast. Stay tuned and read to the end, for I may curse. Or I may curse not. Indeed, the excitement builds.

You know, I didn't keep up with much in the way of national news over the weekend. I did, however, play checkers on the deck by Coleman lantern light with my boys. My 15-year-old holds a two-game win streak over me. This, of course, means that I will have to go to Florida 2000-Ohio 2004 measures -- that is, righteous cheating to preserve the natural order of things. But I digress.

But seriously, when you are sweating while trying to fall asleep, worrying about your family, trying to find gas to put in your vehicle, reading by flashlight, etc., your focus somewhat narrows. You aren't as interested in other national stories. This is not to say they don't matter, but the focus is sure different.

You will recall that Pres. Bush recently took some heat for making a national security speech in California while New Orleans was reeling from Katrina and the city was beginning to flood. I think the criticism was unfair to a certain degree, but I do understand better now. You see, we only had a glancing blow here from Rita, but getting our lives back to normal was priority one. So, rightly or wrongly, I can understand those in New Orleans thinking that the President didn't get it.

So, this morning I am scouring the headlines and look what do I find? It seems that some of Pres. Bush's adversaries -- indeed, some of the very same people who were vociferiously arguing about how out-of-touch he was/is because of his lack of focus while New Orleans was drowning -- yes, somehow these folks found it a-okay to focus on the Iraq War this weekend. Indeed, the anti-American Hard Lefties held their pathetic anti-war rally in Washington over the weekend. Details here.

Let me see if I've got this right ... the Moveon.org crowd (the Democrat base) highly and mightily criticizes this President at every turn with the mantra that he is out of touch with the plight of ordinary Americans, especially the hurting and the needy. Recently, at least, it appeared that the hurting included people affected by hurricanes.

Recall the words of the Giant Poison Pussbag himself:
The day the hurricane [Katrina] hit and the levees broke, Mr. Bush, John McCain and their rich pals were stuffing themselves with cake. A full day after the levees broke (the same levees whose repair funding he had cut), Mr. Bush was playing a guitar some country singer gave him. All this while New Orleans sank under water.
I know, I know ... Democrat talking point #967(b) says Michael Moore is not mainstream Democrat thought, or so it goes. Yet, I am talking about the same gentleman that was sitting next to Pres. Carter at the Demo Convention. You know, the hefty, unshaven guy in the ball cap.

I hereby offer the following observation to the Left, free of charge and as a public service: Demos attacking Michael Moore are a little like Ozzy Osbourne singing country. I mean, it's a bit awkward. But come to think of it, I don't recall them trying much.

Let's face it. Michael Moore is very much at home with the Democrat base. He is a part of it. And, speaking of faces, the new face of the Democrat base said this about Hurricane Rita on the very day the storm made landfall:
i am watching cnn and it is 100 percent rita...even though it is a little wind and a little rain...it is bad, but there are other things going on in this country today...and in the world!!!!
A LITTLE WIND AND A LITTLE RAIN, YOU RAVING LUNATIC?!!?

Where to start? The depth of the Hard Left's odiousness exceeds my ability to describe it. For this bunch that is lower than whale ordure (with apologies to whale ordure everywhere and many thanks to Hitchens for this exquisite deficatory reference) continues to sink to depths that few have ventured before.

So, if I am to understand correctly ... to the poor people in Port Arthur, Texas, wading out to what remains of their homes and offices, the anti-American Hard Left says, "Screw you. We've got an important anti-war, anti-Bush message to get out. It's just a little rain."

And to the people of Cameron, Louisiana, which is no more, especially to the minorities and Democrat voters, the Sheehan-Moore caucus says, "We'll see you in '08, when we need your vote. Right now, we need to move ahead with this anti-war message. After all, if you think about it, that 20-foot storm surge is just a little ocean water and a little rain piled on top of each other by a little wind."

And to Jasper, Texas, where there are a number of low-income people who have lost virtually an entire town: "Hey, excrement precipitates. Bush lied. Thousands died. Talk about some wind. Get a whiff of that coming from the White House. Hope that helps."

They are the protectors of the little guy, you know. They love those homeless union workers on the Gulf Coast. Just not right now. It's for their own good. Important things to attend to, you see. Like their precious anti-American agenda.

Hypocrites.

They had better stay out of Texas and Louisiana with their anti-American bilge.

Because the lights are coming back on.