Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Orrin Hatch: "Hey Shoomer ... Stop asking dumbass questions."

Okay, I am up making merry this evening. It kinda has that post-election feeling, when Carville, et al. realized that they wouldn't be able to gin up 120K dead bodies/fake ballots in Ohio.

In celebration of Pres. Bush's sticking his finger in the eye of the Left/MSM ... and after apparently dropping some Cool Hand Luke chili powder earlier in the day ... I am officially declaring this a holiday -- "Orrin Hatch Day". As a result, I am delaying the eagerly-anticipated Part III of "Burglars in the Neighborhood". Please read all the way to the end of this post to learn/be reminded of how Sen. Hatch treated Sen. Schumer's last attempt to lay a glove on Judge John Roberts. It was a complete, unexpected slap-down, kinda like Ward Cleaver getting picked on by a couple of young bullies on the way to greet June after a day at the office and then just going Chuck Norris all over them, leaving them writhing in the driveway. Unbelievable. So ... read on.

As for the Roberts pick itself, this president does and does not surprise me. He is very consistent. He does what he says. The logical choice was a woman or minority. It was politically a plus (at least apparently) to go that direction. Yet, Pres. Bush defied conventional wisdom, and in the process may have nominated some one that gives the Demos even more problems to oppose.

In taking in the commentary this evening, it is quite apparent to me that the Judge Roberts will be confirmed and he will be an excellent justice on the Court. He seems to have the amazing quality of being a true judicial conservative, while also being a great lawyer, and a great guy. There aren't a lot of such folks around, to be sure.

I will let my more well-armed blogging heavyweights such as Hugh Hewitt, confirmthem.com, and Bench Memos supply the ammo and direct the fire.

As for me, I will do my part (to the extent necessary) to call out left-wing hypocrisy, lunacy, and lack of logic on this issue. This could be a full-time job (actually it is) but my actual job will not permit me to do this glorious task justice.

So, I will contribute where I can.

For starters, I have to ask: What has gotten into Orrin Hatch? His stock is rising as one of my favorite senators. Okay, that's damning with faint praise, I know, but ... as I noted in the post below, he was spouting on Fox about how the country is "tired of the judiciary committee's crap." Preach it, Orrin!

And then ... I started checking a little background on Roberts, and I found this nice story about his prior confirmation hearing for the D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals. How I missed this jewel ... oh, well.

Here is my favorite passage wherein my new hero Hatch described the examination of Roberts by Schumer:
"Some [of his questions] I totally disagree with," Hatch of Utah said. "Some I think are dumbass questions, between you and me. I am not kidding you. I mean, as much as I love and respect you, I just think that's true."

A stunned Schumer asked if he heard the chairman correctly, to which Hatch said yes. Again, Schumer asked Hatch if he would like to "revise and extend his remark," congressional speak for change his mind.

A former trial attorney, Hatch replied: "No, I am going to keep it exactly the way it is. I mean, I hate to say it. I mean, I feel badly saying it between you and me. But I do know dumbass questions when I see dumbass questions."
Folks, it doesn't get any better than that. Recall that Sen. Schumer doesn't think he is the most enlightened, brilliant man inhabiting this planet; he knows it. To be dressed down in public for asking "dumbass" questions by the formerly-dignified, but now apparently-crotchety Orrin Hatch ... that is excruciatingly funny and perhaps one of the most noble acts of public service ever in the Senate Judiciary Committee.

Okay, I am going to bed. Earned my pay today.