Tuesday, May 24, 2005

"Blogs for McCain's Opponent" Launches here in D.C.

Out of the ashes ... I rise. Okay, the more I think about it, the more I have to admit -- our side lost the filibuster battle. And big. There is just no way really to spin it. I think Republicans can vote to change Senate rules under the agreement. Sen DeWine -- (M) Ohio -- said as much. But what will almost certainly happen is ... the Republicans won't do it. Why? Because it will take two of the "Courageous 7" to make it happen. They won't have the guts. Make no mistake: The Demos will filibuster again and they are already formulating their battle plan for explaining why it truly is "extraordinary" this time. And when they do, the "Courageous 7" will say ... "What was that 'C' word? Oh, yeah ... comity." Plus, their leader likely will not let it happen.

We must take on their leader directly. That would be Sen. John McCain -- (D) Arizona. But I want to make this campaign positive. You know, keep it upbeat. I thought about a while back starting a "Blogs Against McCain", but two considerations kept me from it. First, I am a "for" guy. I like being for things. That's why I describe this here blog as ... "for national security ... for cultural preservatation ... for liberty ... for America and her friends." This is also why I haven't joined "Blogs against Hillary". This is not to criticize those fine Americans who are already dogging Ms. Clinton. I am in solidarity with their great cause. Yet, I must ask: What if Hillary runs against McCain?

So, it is conceivable that this project could eventually become the campaign arm of the Hillary Clinton run for president. We will just have to cross that bridge when we come to it, won't we? Perhaps if the two of them run, we could drive turnout below 15% nationally. We can dream.

In launching this campaign to purge the Moderate Party's leader from Republican politics and the public square, I do hereby declare and find the following to be true:

That John McCain has been a constant source of grief for Republicans;

That John McCain has heaped far more praise upon Democrats than he has Republicans;

That John McCain in fact never has a harsh word for Democrats, and he is chums with Sen. Ted Kennedy, for crying out loud;

That John McCain meanwhile has serially violated Ronald Reagan's "11th Commandment": Do not criticize thy fellow Republicans;

That John McCain has routinely attacked the Republican base, who financed and put McCain and his moderate friends in office;

That John McCain gave cover to Sen. John "sure I'll sign my Form 180, I'll get right on that, honest" Kerry during the presidential election cycle;

That John McCain did not immediately rebuff Kerry when he made repeated VP overtures to McCain;

That John McCain did not publicly say to Sen. Kerry, "Get away from me, you hideous and odious man.";

That John McCain has caused the late, great Ronald Reagan much grief from the other side of the grave by McCain's repeated invocations of the Reagan legacy when McCain's political career resembles nothing of what Pres. Reagan fought for;

That John McCain always has an excuse not to cut taxes;

That John McCain has been in the Senate for many years, and has only McCain-Feingold to show for it;

That McCain-Feingold was a horrible piece of legislation that gave Democrats and their allies a 2-1 funding advantage in the 2004 elections;

That John McCain called those who questioned the constitutionality of McCain-Feingold "radical rightwingers";

That John McCain has now emboldened the FEC to breathe down bloggers' necks;

That John McCain has rejected my compromise to have the FEC shut down/regulate only liberal blogs;

That the most dangerous place in Washington to be is the space between John McCain's face and a television camera;

That John McCain is in love with the MSM and vice-versa;

That John McCain has said negative things about Rush Limbaugh, and these things have been said in public;

That John McCain has consistently and publicly challenged our military leaders in the field on their decisions in Iraq;

That John McCain has to be wooed, consulted, cajoled and stroked for every single thing that happens in Washington, because dangit ... he should have been the president, not Pres. Bush;

That John McCain is loyal to no Republicans and that he and his gang of moderates happily threw Sen. Frist overboard;

That John McCain sells out any one who stands in the way of his poltical ambitions;

That John McCain and his gang of moderates in the name of "comity" actually sold out the Republican base so that their pet projects and donors -- namely, big business -- could get taken care of;

That John McCain still says out loud that the problem in Washington is "money in politics"; and

That John McCain and his ilk are the real problem in Washington.

It is therefore resolved that I will start "Blogs for McCain's Opponent", and that all who join will be linked here and will provide a reciprocal link at their site. Further, as I don't know how to generate a code with a blogroll or a cool button, any help in that regard will be appreciated.

Let me conclude by saying that I have made the statement before, and I will make it again. I respect Sen. McCain for his service to the nation. But, as Hugh Hewitt said, McCain is "a great American, a lousy senator, and a terrible Republican."

So resolved. Or should I say ... I am so resolved.

If you wish to join, send me an email at dcutter-at-gmail-dot-com.

Yours in "blogging for" ...

Update: The Swap Blog joins in as the inaugural member ... Who's next? How 'bout a prize? I don't know ... First 10 members get to paddle li'l Lindsay Graham. I mean, it's the next best thing to paddling the lily white one of the McCain-in-Chief. Indeed, Hugh H. is saying that Lindsay is positioning himself to be McCain's VP. So, we need to keep our eye on and paddle in contact with li'l Lindsay. Call that little whiner and gripe at his staff. The McCain-in-Chief does not answer his phones.

Important Note: Please understand ... this is not and will not be a blog alliance advocating Hillary's run for the WH. Some comments I have received thus far indicate a potential misunderstanding in this regard. There are several reasons for this: 1) Unlike Sen. McCain, I will not support a position/candidate simply to defeat a Republican candidate or to make him/her look bad; and 2) there is not enough room on Air Force One (Hillary's broom) if she were to win and want to take all the members of this blog alliance for a spin.

In sum, let's first concentrate on making sure that 1) McCain does not go back to the Senate; 2) does not get the Republican nomination for the WH in '08; and 3) does not run as an independent and "Go Perot" on us ... thus giving us 8 more years of Clinton.

Just so we are clear: I will not be a part of an effort that helps the Demos (unless they look like Zell Miller) in '08. Don't worry ... I've got the keys to the blogroll, and the effort won't undermine conservative advancement. And if that isn't clear enough, let me add the following. I approach elections in a very practical fashion: Who can win? Of those who can win, who will better help the advancement of conservative ideals? I have little patience for theoreticians who make meaningless "statements" on election day. Wishing we had a parliamentary system like the Euros doesn't make it so, any more than wishing will enable you to ride your bike to the moon. If you want to make a statement, go stand on the corner and make a speech. But voting has a specific purpose ... electing some one. That is, ballots are not meant to be thrown in the trash. So, you will not see me participating in such an effort. The idea is to cast more for the best candidate who can win.

And one more thing ... See my posts of June '08 and beyond for my take on who I am supporting in the '08 presidential race and why.