Wednesday, April 13, 2005

A Look Inside the DC Library

Okay, I guess in non-election years we do these what-you-call meme deals. And Teach asked me to answer the book meme. You asked for it, Teach ... so here it is:

You’re stuck inside Fahrenheit 451, which book do you want to be? If my simple mind understands correctly, this is asking me what I want to get burned. No? Well, I'll take it that way. How about anything by Al Franken? I did get a kick out of his "Lies, Liars ... " I like the way he tweaks O'Reilly. That is pretty funny. I am not a big fan of the forehead boy. But Franken has limited utility. He, like many liberals, used to be funny, particularly with his masterful usage of the pregnant pause. He was "smart enough, good enough, and doggonit, people liked him." But alas, now he is losing. And he is no longer funny. So ... down with Franken.

Have you ever had a crush on a fictional character? Only if you count Wonder Woman, as played by Linda Carter. More proof of Texas superiority, that woman.

The last book you bought? "Ragamuffin Gospel" by Brennan Manning. Read it and be free from legalism.

What are you currently reading? In this response, I include those books I have started and have a reasonable chance of concluding in the foreseeable future: "Ragamuffin Gospel", "High Percentage Baserunning" by Stu Southworth, "Big Russ & Me" by Tim Russert, "Hope and Honor" by Maj. Gen. Sid Shachnow (U.S. Army Ret.), and "By the Shores of Silver Lake" by Laura Ingalls Wilder. This last one I am reading with my 8-year-old daughter.

Five books you would take to a deserted island? The Bible ... a survival guide (I'd get the best one at Barnes and Noble) ... "The Outline of History" by H.G. Wells ... "United States of America's Medal of Honor Recipients" ... "25 of the Greatest Sermons Ever Preached", edited by Jerry Falwell.

The above list includes truth and inspiration, along with the practical. I am figuring I am going to be here a while. I have been wanting to get through Wells' book forever. I will write my own fiction.

Now, the deal is ... those receiving and participating are to pass this to three others. And so, I am asking my friends JulieB, Brian, and Rogue Sun to provide their responses to the above questions. And for good measure, I am asking my ol' pal David, the Ohio Voter to consider coming out of posting limbo/retirement to answer the mail.

We'll see.