Monday, March 14, 2005

Goomba's Blog Gone ... but I remember

This week’s essay/column is dedicated to a mainstay in “My Unit” – my old blog friend and soul mate Nickie Goomba. If you check the link “Goomba Genius” to the right, you will find that his blog is no more. I have recently gotten some inquiries from blog friends regarding Goomba’s status. Thus, I emailed my man Nickie, and he was kind enough to write back. Yes, it is true that Goomba Genius is going the way of the buffalo. Man, this is really too bad. But I know the man has his reasons. I will miss his blog so very much. I am hopeful that Nickie G. will continue to drop by and comment here.

Goomba’s commentary and humor have been uplifting and inspiring to me. He is a tremendous talent, and I cherished the Goomba News Network reports, particularly when the “You are lying” comments were mixed in. Okay, so some of those were mine. But, he had the ability to make serious points through humor, while keeping his perspective and not getting too personal with political opponents. This is a gift. And all the while he was teaching/helping me to be better just by doing his thing. Thanks, man.

I know some may have seen Goomba’s work differently. Certainly the hackers did. But … there are many of us in the blogosphere who are very saddened by his departure. If you didn't appreciate the talent and heart of Goomba Genius, it's on you, not Nickie G.

It won’t be the same without Nickie.

I wish he had left us a farewell post with a place to comment and tell him how much we enjoyed his superb blog, how he made this more fun and rewarding, how his site made ours better. How much we came to vicariously care about him. But alas, Nickie’s site is no more.

But … how about commenting below and sending ol’ Goomba some love? I think he’ll stop by and read.

As for me, Nickie, I am praying for you and wishing you well. Most importantly, I want you to know that I am with you and for you as a man first; yes, your genius blog is secondary. I wish you all the best in your personal life and endeavors … blogging aside.

If you don’t come back, there will be a hole in the ‘sphere. But there’s a mark, too. Your mark.