Monday, March 28, 2005

DC Reveals Shocking Answers to Penetrating Questions ...

Okay ... well, sue me. Maybe they won't be shocking, but you've read this far, right? Interesting? Hard to say. You be the judge. At least they'll be correct. How about that?

So, without any further delay or "a dew" ... whatever ... here are the answers to the penetrating questions of JulieB:

If you could be any historical figure from the 16th Century, who would you be and why?

What?! Thank God for Wikipedia. Oh, my. First, I have to do a little research. Yeah, I know some. Luther, Shakespeare. Not Luther. Why? I mean, I am an evangelical Christian ... one of his spiritual offspring. Hmmm. How about ... Sir Thomas More? He was a man of principle and his life and death counted. Plus, I learned a bit about him when I saw his picture hanging in the office of Dr. Marvin Olasky, a man I respect as much as any one.

How did you propose to Mrs. DC?

Hmmm. Wow. Let me see. As I recall, she begged me ... something about, "You are the most amazing man ever to live ... " I seem to recall. Maybe my memory is fading as I am far older than most, I repeat, most of my readers. Let's see. The year was 1985. I had surrepti ... whatever ... snuck up to Dallas and bought her little, and I do mean little, engagement ring. She did not know I had it. We went out that evening. She was living in an apartment in Georgetown, Texas at the time. I was still in school. Yes ... she's an older woman. Story of my life. But I digress ... We came back to her apartment. I had concocted some story about "making her dessert" when we got back to her place. We even went to the grocery store and I bought ice cream, etc. She was sitting on the balcony. I went to "make dessert". Put ring (in the holder) in the bowl and came back ... Surprise!! Oh, yeah ... I wrote a note ... "I love you. I need you. Will you marry me?" Or something like that. Or ... maybe she begged me. I don't know.

What movie do you watch over and over again, and why?

As discussed on this blog previously, "A Christmas Carol" ... the 1951 version with Alistair Sim as Scrooge. I watch it every year. I love it because it is the best version of my favorite Christmas story. Sim is masterful. But most of all, I love the story because it is a great picture of hope and redemption. It reminds me that the most important point is what became of Scrooge's life after the spirits visited.

If you could interview Barbara Boxer, what would you ask her?

Gosh, I don't know. This is really hard, because I really don't want to interview the senator. But ... what could I ask ... okay, "Sen. Boxer, list some of your favorite conservative Republicans ... and in case you can't tell the difference, John McCain is not one of these ... "What do you think makes most people conservative?" ... "Assuming that you don't think that conservative Republicans are bad people (and I don't think you do), what can be done by liberal Democrats like yourself to convince some of your ideological soul mates of this?" ... "What is your plan for fixing Social Security?" ... "What specific proposals are the Democrats in Congress FOR now, and what are you doing to see that these proposals are at least partially enacted into law?" ... "Do you think it is bigoted to advocate legal protections for traditional marriage?" ... "As a Jewish person, I would be interested in knowing your thoughts on how a Christian lives out his or her faith without in your view being unfair, dogmatic, prejudiced ... in other words, being true to themselves without interfering with the rights of others to do the same." ... "What do you think of Jesus and why?"

What is your fondest memory of your childhood?

This is hard. My childhood wasn't great. My parents divorced when I was seven. I had to grow up too fast in a lot of ways. But don't go feelin' sorry for me, please. A lot of this helped get me to where I needed to go. But I digress ... Probably my best memories as a kid were as a freshman in high school when I met a guy from Thompson, Ohio who was a friend to me and told me how to become a Christian.

Interviewing Rules ... For those who would like to submit themselves to an interview by the great DC (caution: I have, in the past, been paid to ask questions):

* Leave me a comment saying “interview me”. The first five commenters will be the participants.*

I will respond by asking you five questions.*

You will update your blog/site with the answers to the questions.*

You will include this explanation and an offer to interview someone else in the same post.*