Thursday, January 13, 2005

Here's the payola ... have you read all the other stuff before dessert?

Warning: The following is a continuation of an excruciatingly-funny joke ... Ye Olde Ping Pong Ball Tale ... Commenters/Bloggers ruining my fun by telling the punch line will be summarily banned and scorned ...

Okay, where were we? That's right, college. Well, the kid rolls right into college, and I think he got 10,000 after the freshman year, right? Yeah, well ... You'll never believe it, but he aces all of his classes as a sophomore in his advanced microbiology program. . Straight As ... again. Dad offers the obligatory gift, and well, this time the son takes a bit of a different tack (1.5 multiplier) and he orders up 15,000 pp balls. Dad is stunned, bordering on numbness. But then, things turned a bit and it was the closest call yet to making a "B". But ... son has another perfect academic year in the tank. Dad then approaches son, "Son, well, you have almost done the unthinkable, and you only have one more year of college left. How 'bout you let me buy you a car this year?" Son, clearly shocked ... says, "Wow, Dad, that's incredible. I'll take the 20,000 ..." Dad excitedly interrupts, "Horsepower? I don't think they've got that kind of engine, son." Son: "No, Dad. I'll take 20,000 ping pong balls." Dad: "I think I am feeling dizzy." Well, this little puzzle was about to be solved, though, as the son charged into his final year of college. His academic focus was as strong as ever, and ... he did it. Straight As, all the way through college. Dad, this time, sensed a breakthrough and an end to the mystery. Dad: "Son, look you don't even have a paddle, much less a table. I will buy you anything you want. What'll it be?" Son: "Well, Dad, you have been generous all these years, and I know I may have wanted things that you didn't want to give ... maybe it's seemed a bit eccentric. But, I do understand where you are coming from. I have sorta turned over a new leaf." Dad: "Really?" Son: "Yeah, well, I have decided that this year I would like 25,000 ping pong balls." Dad sits in stunned silence. Son: "And I have got great news." Dad: "What's that, son?" Son: "I've been accepted to grad school."

To be continued next week ...