Wednesday, December 22, 2004

Next to last post o' the year ... a veritable holiday smorgaswhatever

Greetings all ...

Hope you are well. The commenters all should have restocked their ammo by now after the firefight with my old nemesis PW yesterday. That was the most hostile action around here since Pussguzzler opened up on me and a convoy of Cutterites a few months ago. Remember that 38-comment firefight?! It was a doozy. PG, too, was driven away by kindness and reason.

But fret not for ol' DC (I know you're not), because sticks and stones don't even break my bones. I mean, do we really care what some one who doesn't even know us thinks about us? We should not take ourselves so seriously. These are just words here. Sure, there are ideas behind them and some one behind the ideas. But ol' PW doesn't even know who he is talking to. Of course, you all don't either, but ... Actually, I am the newly-appointed President of Texblogistan. But I digress ...

Mosul update

It looks more and more like a suicide bomber was responsible for the Mosul tragedy yesterday. Perhaps he has now learned of that unfortunate Islamic translation error and is being greeted by 72 Virginians (i.e., Washington, P. Henry, Madison, Jefferson, etc.) as we speak. We need to smile and move on with our lives and our respective missions. Our troops are doing this, and they will get the job done.

A couple of interesting items on the radio ...

Heard today on Rush's show that our top-notch interrogators at Gitmo are being accused of torture by the ACLU again, this time for ... get this ... are you ready? ... wrapping detainees in the Israeli flag. Yes, you read that correctly. Now, I must posit the following question: To what kind of warped mind is such activity "torture"? And if it is torture, why? Mustn't torture be perceived as such by the civilized world? Would it feel to you like being on a stretching rack to have the flag of Israel around you? I suspect not. It sounds to me like Israel may have the only legitimate beef here.

Also, many of you know that the 60th anniversary of the ferocious Battle of the Bulge is upon us. We lost 19,000 ... yes, 19,000 troops were killed in that battle. Many more were wounded and captured. Last week, a 79-year-old Battle of the Bulge veteran, Don from Sandusky, Ohio, weighed in on the milestone. He said he was "70% disabled" but "above ground". Needless to say, he got my attention. I was scribbling notes and dodging cars and thus couldn't take it down verbatim, but here is the gist of it:
"I landed at Normandy, and was wounded twice before the Battle of the Bulge ... where I was captured by the Germans ... I've never been so cold in my life ... I was held prisoner until two months after the battle ended. The Germans weren't so bad to us, but the Russians were ruthless bastards. They were holding us in exchange for other prisoners until we were rescued by American troops ... No American would have refused to go into battle because of lacking armor. If I had, I would have been court-martialed."
Cheers to you, Don. Sir, we view freedom from atop your shoulders.

Programming notes

I note that a number of linkees are now linkers to other linkees. It is all good, and it warms my heart. Great to see. Just creates a cumbayahesqe feeling. However, beware that breeding within the Goomba family could produce disasterous results ... such as an ugly offspring with three heads. Don't know why I felt the need to tell you that, but seriously ... The esprit-de-corps in the blogosphere is really something. Many of you have helped me greatly this year with this endeavor. You know who you are. I want to thank the linkees/linkers, regular commenters, and especially those of you who are linked near the top of this page. I wish you all great success in your business, personal and blogging lives in '05. Let's all conquer the blogosphere together. Somebody's gotta have the best sites out there. Why not us?

And don't forget ... Press conference on 1/3 ... Undisclosed location and time ... but pool reporters have been selected and have signed confidentiality agreements. They do not know where they are being taken. We'll see.

As I ponder the future of this site ... questions arise: Can sanity dwell with insanity? Can reason with humor? Can light with darkness? Can God with man? I have my own thoughts, but you will have to decide for yourselves.

See you tomorrow ...